Most of you would know that essential oils have become a part of many peoples daily life as they cure a multitude of problems – stress, anxiety , hormonal imbalances and what not. Many of us know all about essential oils but there are few peoples who are not aware by these magical oils. So here I’m going to discuss about some commonly used essential oils, their benefits and ways to use them correctly.
Basically essential oil is the oil of the plant from which they were extracted, such as oil of clove. An oil is “essential” in the sense that it contains the “essence of” the plant’s fragrance—the characteristic fragrance of the plant from which it is derived.
Essential oil should not be confused with fragrance oil because it is a natural plant product while fragrance oil is chemically produced to mimic certain aromatic scent.
Certain essential oil trigger physical or emotional effects on their own, on the other hand natural properties found in other essential oil produce a soothing and uplifting effect when diffused or applied topically on the body through a massage. Following are the most popular essential oils –
- It relaxes the mind and the body. The name stems from the Latin word “lavera” which means ‘to wash’.
- It also aids in healing cold, flu and migraine.
- It improves mental alertness.
- It is perennial herb that boasts of natural as well as energy boosting properties.
- It calms and relieves tension.
- It also helps the mucous membranes of the urinary tract and the chest wall.
- It treats stress and anxiety.
- It also helps heal anorexia and a number of skin infections like psoriasis and eczema.
- It is powerful calming agent, as well as antibiotic, antiseptic, antidepressant and an overall mood lifter.
- It has stimulating and refreshing properties.
- As an antiseptic, it also helps with digestive as well as liver infections.
- It balances and boosts sexual prowess.
- It also soothes headaches, nausea and skin conditions, stimulates hair growth, reduces high blood pressure and fights intestinal problems.
- It de-stresses and boosts confidence, ease depression and pain during child birth, and enhances libido.
- It’s great for respiratory problems, additional issues as well as for reducing tension.
- It helps with skin irritation, digestion and blood circulation problems.
- It is a natural immunity booster and help reduce cellulite.
- It balances hormones and helps with blood circulation,Heart problems and respiratory conditions like asthma.
- It is also great for your skin.
SAFETY AND CORRECT USAGE
They are highly concentrated products and should never be used on the skin directly. There are many ways in which you can use the oil. These include the help of a diffuser or a burner, adding a few drops to your bath water, using 2-3 drops on a tissue paper, with a potpourri or dry flowers or mixing them with carrier oils like jojoba oil, olive oil, coconut oil etc. Keep in mind the way you apply these oils has an impact on their healing capabilities.
Also remember the following safety nets –
- Keep essential oils away from your eyes. If an oil does come in contact with your eyes, flush it out with lots of warm water and immediately seek medical advice.
- Store the oil away from children.
- Use only suggested amount as a misuse can lead to headache or nausea.
- Direct contact with the oils can also result in redness, burning , itching and irritation.
- If the oil comes in contact with your skin, coat the area with a cream or vegetable oil and then wash off with warm, soapy water.
- Make sure that you read the warnings on the packaging as some oils are not meant to be combined with other medications or alcohol, or should not be taken if have certain medical problem.