India is known for its varied, spicy and delicious food . Spices are generally used to add flavours in many dishes , but they also have immense amount of health benefits. The kitchen of every Indian family controls its health and spices have a special place in it.
For common health problems like cold and cough, acidity, sore throat and headaches, we actually don’t need to run to a doctor. Indian spices contain powerful antioxidants which can provide relief from such complaints.
Let’s have a look at how spices, if consumed in correct proportions, can keep us away from illness.
- It lowers the risk of heart disease by moderately reducing cholesterol level and thinning the blood.
- It is an excellent source of antioxidants, which help fight cancer by flushing out carcinogens before they can damage cell DNA.
- It has anti-fungal anti-bacterial properties which provide relief in the case of common cold, cough and fever.
Cut and crush 1-2 cloves of garlic and have them daily. If you cannot eat it raw , add it to your soups , vegetables , salads and vegetable juices.
- It is known to control blood sugar level in people with diabetes.
- It burns body fat to some extent by increasing the metabolic rate.
- It helps in cutting down cholesterol level, thus making it heart friendly.
Add 1-2 tsp of ground cinnamon to a hot cup of green tea and get double the dose of antioxidants.
Add 1 tsp of cinnamon powder to lukewarm lemon water and consumed early in the morning to help speed up your metabolism.
- It reduces inflammation caused by cancer cells and also helps in stopping cancer cells.
- Being an amazing antioxidants, anti-bacterial, and anti-fungal agent, it helps relieve infections that cause cold and coughs.
- It helps deal with skin problems. Turmeric powder can also be used for healing cuts and wounds.
Add a table spoon of turmeric to warm water and sip it. Develop the habit of consuming turmeric in your children by adding it to your milk.
You can also make tiny balls from a mixture of jaggery and turmeric.
Add these three medicinal spices in your daily diet and keep yourself away from health problems and doctor. Other spices also have their health benefits , that I’ll discuss in my another post. Till then enjoy these spices and spice up your food and life.